Congratulations on your engagement and thank you for considering St. Anthony of Padua for your wedding. The guidelines that follow will help you as you prepare for the Sacrament of Marriage and for your special day.
Helpful Information for Engaged Couples
A wedding can be scheduled at St. Anthony of Padua Church for a territorial or affiliated parishioner.
- A territorial parishioner currently lives within the boundaries of St. Anthony of Padua Church or St. Agnes Mission.
- An affiliated parishioner has chosen to be part of our faith community by officially registering in the parish and actively taking part in the life of this faith community for six months prior to scheduling their wedding. Active participation can be demonstrated through regular contributions made to St. Anthony of Padua Church or St. Agnes Mission through the use of envelopes or personal checks. Participation can also include active participation in one of our parish outreach ministries.
As parishioners we are interested in scheduling a wedding at St. Anthony of Padua Church, what should we do?
- Both of you should read the Marriage Guidelines – Printable Booklet, which is available on this website.
- Begin securing the required documents.
- Each Catholic party will need to request an updated baptismal certificate from your church of Baptism; (the original certificate that was issued at your baptism is not acceptable). When requesting this certificate, please state “with notations”.
- You will also need your First Communion and Confirmation certificates.
- Contact the marriage coordinator to determine if the wedding date you desire is available. Arrangements for a wedding must be done a minimum of 6 months in advance of the desired date.
If the date we desire is available and we have obtained all of the required documents, what do we do next?
- Schedule the initial appointment with the marriage coordinator to book your wedding and begin the preparation process.
- At this meeting you will need to do the following to secure a date:
- Present the required documents
- Provide the marriage offering
- At the initial meeting you will also schedule the time for your rehearsal, discuss ceremony details, complete the required paperwork, and begin the preparation process for your marriage.
Once we have booked the date and completed the initial appointment with the marriage coordinator, what else is required?
- You will need to review the results of the FOCCUS assessment. The marriage coordinator will provide you the information for this appointment.
- You are required to complete an approved formal marriage preparation program at least 2 months before your wedding. The approved preparation options will be discussed with you at the initial appointment.
- Complete a final appointment with the marriage coordinator and priest (or deacon) that will be officiating at your wedding. This meeting should be scheduled with the marriage coordinator three months before your wedding date.
What is the process if we are currently married to each other outside the Catholic Church (civilly married only) and would like to have our marriage blessed by the church?
- Please read the convalidation guidelines that are available on this website.
- Contact the marriage coordinator to begin the preparation process.
At times, an engaged couple will wish to marry outside of the Diocese of Fresno. In this situation, the personnel of St. Anthony of Padua will only prepare those couples for marriage who are either territorial or affiliated parishioners as defined above. Paperwork processing and FOCCUS review fees will be collected.